10 Months old – this is my second last update before he is ONE! This month he learned to walk which is super exciting! Keep reading for what else is new and some pics that may or may not be shown at his wedding.
Weight: We haven’t had him weighed since his 6 month appointment. If I had to guess I would say around 24lbs. He is so much more mobile now and leaning out a lot.
Sleep: This question never has one answer. Some nights good and some nights, usually the very next night, so so bad. We finally taught him to put himself to sleep using a sleep training method we totally made up on the spot but it worked. No bouncing, no nursing, no patting on the bum until I fall asleep hanging half into the crib. So that is good. He is still needing to eat once in the night and he still wakes up so early I could cry but it’s all a part of it. We will survive.
Eating: Dex doesn’t mess around with eating (see photo below). He eats 3 small meals a day and is still nursing . He is starting to..I’m not gonna call it “wean” but I can tell he is totally losing interest in nursing. I have always heard mamas say how difficult it is to wean their babies and I have dreaded it. But while Dex has always been an awesome nurser I have always known that he doesn’t really care how he gets it. Bottle, breast, solid food it doesn’t seem to matter. He has always switched back and forth easily. Maybe I’m wrong because obviously we haven’t tried this but, I feel like starting tomorrow I could only ever bottle feed him and he wouldn’t mind a bit. His priority is food (wonder where he gets that from -haha) and as long as his belly is full he’s happy. He just doesn’t seem to be able to stay still long enough to get a good feed. Why lay here and nurse when I could crawl around and eat fruit at the same time?
Diapers: Everything is the same here. BUT we have had to retire a lot of our velcro cloth diapers because SOMEONE learned how to remove his own diaper. Once while he was waking up from a nap. And the diaper was NOT clean. Like not even close. So that was fun.
Clothing: I’m buying him mostly 12-18 months now. I always buy bigger because once you wash, his clothes shrink quite a bit. I am loving his size right now though because it is staying pretty consistent. At the beginning there is this HUGE growth curve and I would buy him something cute and it would fit him for 3 weeks. Now, I know the stuff I’m buying him will fit him well into fall.
Other exciting news. Dex was chosen to be a brand rep for an amazing baby moccasin brand called Stitches&Soles. These moccasins are so soft! They come in the most amazing colours and are the easiest moccs to get on that we have ever tried. She just launched a bunch of new colours and incredible sequin moccasins!
These moccs are already super affordable but right now if you use the coupon code DEXTER you can get 10% off your order! Go go go!
Mood: Happy. Lately he has been so happy! Dex has always been pretty chill but not much of a laugher. He is really pensive and if you do something funny he usually wants to process it for a couple minutes then he will give you a little laugh.
Lately though, he walks around all day laughing. He scrunches his nose (like me) and shows all of his teeth and it just about puts tears in my eyes. I’m obsessed with this kid.
Honestly. That photo makes me feel like I have a 3 year old. Gahh!
▪ Peekaboo. He loves this. Now he does the hiding and peeking part by pulling a blanket over his face and waiting a couple seconds before quickly pulling it down.
▪ Bath/swimming/water. Easily the best part of his day is the time spent in water.
▪ Opening drawers and cupboards. He found them and has pinched his fingers no less than 20 times this past week. We bought those little baby proofing cupboard things this week which drive my husband insane. Those things can literally be installed for like a year and every. single. time. you go to open that cupboard you forget it’s there. GAHH!! This is our life now. The parent transformation is complete.
▪ Puppies. Walks. Flowers. Birds. Cars. Music. Life. He is discovering so much now and it’s amazing to watch.
▪ Some veggies. He started off liking everything but now we have noticed that if we don’t hold the fruit back until he eats the non-sweet foods he will only eat the fruit and throw the rest on the floor.
▪ Grass. He bear crawls on grass because he doesn’t like it touching his legs. In his defence it has been so hot here our grass feels like straw.
What I Want to Remember:
▪ Your first steps. You walked this past week. I can’t even put into words how it feels to see my baby, the one I literally just birthed, walking around our home and yard on your own. You are fearless. You try to walk up the slide, you want to try stairs. You are so persistent and motivated and are happiest when moving around as fast as you can. I think I’m in trouble. I’m so proud of you Dex. You are becoming so independent and it’s bittersweet but I know it’s how it’s supposed to be.
▪ The way you turn the pages when we read together. OH and this is new. You have started to realize how we react to things you do. Now, if you are standing and fall on your bum and we laugh you stand up and do it over and over and over again just to get a rise out of us. We sit there laughing and acting surprised and we would do it for hours because you are trying so hard to make us smile. Not very long ago these roles were reversed and I would do anything, and I mean anything to get a giggle out of you.
▪ When you crawl you crawl on one knee and with one foot up. I think it helps you go faster. It’s the cutest thing and as a result your one foot gets like filthy by the end of the day. It’s probably my favourite photo from the entire month. I swear I clean my floors!
Looking Forward To:
▪ I am really looking forward to his first birthday but to be honest, this moment I really just want time to stand still. I have like one more update before he is a year old and I’m so excited but sad to be coming to the end of our first year. I always say to my husband how I’m so frustrated that I can’t remember everything. I was thinking the other day about what my favourite moments with Dex have been and I think my favourites are the ones I can’t even remember. The small, quiet moments that I protect from my iPhone and social media. Just him and I doing something super normal and routine but it’s the best moment because of his laugh or smile or the way his hand grazes my arm to make sure I’m still close by. Waaaah.. Excited for next week and next month and his birthday but also holding on to today and not looking too far ahead.